The Little Mermaid was an animated series based on the 1989 film of the same name. It starred the mermaid Ariel and her adventures in Atlantica and beyond.
- Ariel- an adventurous and bubbly mermaid. Her name means "Lion of God" in Hebrew.
- Ariel's sisters
- Scuttle- Ariel's seagull friend.
- Sebastian- Ariel's crab friend. Has a Jamaican accent. He is a loyal servant to King Triton, and attempts to keep Ariel out of trouble, but with a lot of difficulty. His name means "venerable" in Greek.
- Flounder- Ariel's fish friend. Despite his name, he is not a flounder but an Atlantic blue tang. He is childish, but can be reluctant and even cowardly at times.
- King Triton- Ariel's father who is kindly, albeit strict, toward Ariel. He cares dearly for his daughter, and when necessary will leap into action with his powerful trident. He rides a dolphin-drawn chariot. He is based on the son of the Greek god Poseidon.
- Ursula- the evil, half-octopus, sea witch. Her name means "little bear" in various languages, coming from the Latin for bear.
- Prince Eric- Ariel's fiancee.
- Flotsam and Jetsam- Ursula's moray eel henchmen. They are named after terms for floating cargo remnants from sunken ships.
Video Game Edit
A video game based on the film was released by Capcom to the NES and Game Boy.
- Atlantica is the name given to an ancient continent that formed during the Protezoic about , located in what is now West Africa and eastern South America. The name was chosen because the continent opened up to form the South Atlantic Ocean.
- In the original story, Ariel dies in the end. This was taken out to turn it into a family film and make Ariel a Disney princess.
- Poseidon does appear in the series. He also appears in Hercules.
- The late, great Tony Jay had a minor role in the series