Jungle Cubs was a cartoon on the Disney Channel in the mid nineties which debuted on the One Saturday Morning block. It starred the characters of the classic Disney film The Jungle Book when they were young, long before they met Mowgli. This was a part of the "juniorization" fad of the eighties and nineties. The series was on Disney Junior for awhile.
The main hangout of the cubs was the Aztec ruins that had originally been the palace of King Louie and his orangutan servants.
This was the only series based on The Jungle Book until 2010.
- Bagheera was voiced by Elizabeth Daily, who also voiced Tommy Pickles in the Nicktoon Rugrats.
- Hathi was voiced by Rob Paulson, also known for voicing Yakko Warner in Animaniacs.
- Baloo was voiced by Pamela Adlon, also known for voicing Lucky in 101 Dalmatians: the Series, Spinelli in Recess, and Moose in Pepper Ann.
- Louie was voiced by Jason Marsden, who also voiced Max Goof in A Goofy Movie.
- Kaa was voiced by Jim Cummings, who has done countless voice acting for Disney and other companies.
- Shere Khan was voiced by Jasen Marsden, who also voiced Cavin in Gummi Bears and Shnookums in The Schnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
Unlike in the original film, Shere Khan is not an antagonist, but rather a bully and friends with the other characters. His snake servant Kaa also appears as a friend of the cubs.
Although debuting much later, Tarzan: the Series very much resembles Jungle Cubs.