Jungle Cubs was a cartoon on the Disney Channel in the mid nineties which debuted on the One Saturday Morning block. It starred the characters of the classic Disney film The Jungle Book when they were young, long before they met Mowgli. This was a part of the "juniorization" fad of the eighties and nineties. The series was on Disney Junior for awhile.
The main hangout of the cubs was the Aztec ruins that had originally been the palace of King Louie and his orangutan servants.
This was the only series based on The Jungle Book until 2010.
The show is available on iTunes
- Bagheera was voiced by Elizabeth Daily, who also voiced Tommy Pickles in the Nicktoon Rugrats.
- Hathi was voiced by Rob Paulson, also known for voicing Yakko Warner in Animaniacs.
- Baloo was voiced by Pamela Adlon, also known for voicing Lucky in 101 Dalmatians: the Series, Spinelli in Recess, and Moose in Pepper Ann.
- Louie was voiced by Jason Marsden, who also voiced Max Goof in A Goofy Movie.
- Kaa was voiced by Jim Cummings, who has done countless voice acting for Disney and other companies.
- Shere Khan was voiced by Jasen Marsden, who also voiced Cavin in Gummi Bears and Shnookums in The Schnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show
- Cecil and Arthur- Two vultures. Unlike in the original film, they are not British. Rather, they seem to have a more New York accent. They are also bald rather than having Beatle cuts. They are voiced by David Lander and Michael McKean, who also voiced Jasper and Horace from 101 Dalmatians: the Series. McKean also played the lead guitarist on This is Spinal Tap.
- Unlike in the original film, Shere Khan is not an antagonist, but rather a bully and friends with the other characters. His snake servant Kaa also appears as a friend of the cubs.
- Although debuting much later, Tarzan: the Series very much resembles Jungle Cubs.
- In one episode, Bagheera loses his voice. In an attempt to help him, Baloo serves him mango juice, "shaken, not stirred". This is a reference to how famous super spy James Bond prefers his martini.
- In the same episode, the cubs get attacked by a crocodile. When he attacks, dramatic music similar to the Jaws theme plays.
- In the episode, the vultures refer to Louie as the "orang-goo-tang". His species is pronounced "O-ran-goo-tan" and does not have a G at the end.